Love it or hate it, Facebook is a major player in the social media world. What started as a network for university students, now has roughly 2,89 billion users worldwide. And let’s face it, some of those users are your friends, parents and even your grandparents.
In this post we are exploring some interesting factoids about one of tech’s most powerful companies.
10 Facts about Facebook
- Facebook started as “TheFacebook” – an online directory at Harvard where students could find each other and connect.
- It was founded in 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg and his college roommates.
- Today, Baby Boomers make up more than half of the site’s users.
- Facebook Messenger began as Facebook Chat, and was added in 2008.
- In 2012, Facebook bought the popular photo sharing app Instagram for 1 billion dollars.
- The story of Facebook was dramatized in the 2010 hit film “The Social Network.” It won a Golden Globe for Best Picture – Drama.
- The “Like” button was added in 2009. It’s the thumbs up logo we’re all very familiar with now. More reaction buttons were added in February 2016, and the newest “care” button was added in April 2020 due to the global Covid-19 pandemic.
- Facebook was once only for post-secondary students with a valid college or university email address, but on February 26, 2006, it became available to everyone 13+ with a valid email address.
- 1 billion users use Facebook’s mobile app.
- Facebook Lite was developed for the slow connectivity in third world countries.
Like us on Social Media
TwinBytes is a local IT and computer repair business. We rely on social media accounts to create and share content about our business. Follow us on Facebook to see our latest posts. We often share our latest YouTube videos – tech tutorials on a variety of topics.
Here is our latest YouTube video:
Contact TwinBytes today to schedule a repair or virtual appointment. We are based out of Richmond Hill, but many things can be done online, so there’s almost no need to even visit us. Call today.