Many of us have been working from home for months now, but could still benefit from some Zoom tips for improved video conferencing. By now, many of you expected to be back to normal, but working from home virtually is now a long-term reality. This means your temporary solutions just won’t cut it anymore.
To help you telecommute with ease, here are some ways to improve the look and function of your video calls and meetings.
Zoom Tips for Better Video Calls
- Fix your Internet – Home internet isn’t always the best for video conferences. Depending on where your home office is, you might be near a dead zone where the router can’t reach. You might need to install signal boosters, move the router or upgrade your internet package. TwinBytes can assess your issue and give your recommendations before you spend hundreds of dollars on things you don’t need.
- Improve your Lighting – It’s nearly fall, which means shorter periods of daylight. Bad lighting can give the appearance that you’re sitting in the dark. Add lamps to your desk that will illuminate your face.
- Familiarize Yourself with the Program – Zoom, Google Hangouts, Skype and Facebook Rooms all have different settings and functions to improve your experience. Before an important meeting or interview, review all your options and set it up to work best for your needs. Zoom allows you to add a background to your video, so you can hide parts of your house you don’t want others to see. You can also play around with the camera and audio settings.
- Create a Professional Background – If you don’t want to use a picture as a virtual background, make sure you have a clean and professional background in your home office. You’ll see on the news many choose to to chat in front of a book shelf or unobtrusive painting. You could have a potted plant in the background, even. Try not to have your webcam pointed at a pile of laundry or a sink full of dishes. As realistic as that may be to your life, it’s distracting and unprofessional.
- Frame your Face and Shoulders – Lastly, a useful Zoom Tip is to make sure your face and shoulders are in the frame and that your webcam is pointed at your straight on. If you’re using a tablet or laptop, prop it up with books or a sturdy box so that you’re not looking down at it. Capture your face straight on. This is more flattering, plus it’s more comfortable.
We’re Here to Help with Your Home Office
If you’re looking to optimize your home office, TwinBytes in Richmond Hill offers a variety of services to ensure you’re getting the most out of your home network.
We also have a YouTube channel, where we share tutorials on various tech-related things. Subscribe today so you don’t miss an upload.
Check out our latest video: